Thursday, January 8, 2009

Baptist Press article

Today's article in the Baptist Press gives my views a surprising amount of space: the writer just put my email responses to her questions in the middle of her article. I'm glad I checked my spelling!

There's an interesting quote from Rev. Ross, the co-creator of the virginity pledge: "We know of no secular or even religious campaign that is as comprehensive and life-encompassing in its approach to moral purity [as the True Love Waits pledge]."

That seems far-fetched. Both Jewish and Muslim religious law bar men and women from any affectionate physical contact or from being alone together. Certainly those are more comprehensive. If more than 50% of those who keep the laws marry having never had any kind of sex (an upper bound of virginity pledges' effectiveness) --- and I think that's likely --- they are also more effective.

No comments: